Pages

17 January 2011

LightScribe DVD/CD



Recently, I’ve been shopping around for an external DVD burner for my Mac because some of the data that I need to burn are more than 1GBytes! After looking around, I finally decided to get the BenQ DVD writer with LightScribe technology, paired with an el-cheapo RM90 external USB2.0 casing. Ha ha….



Now… LightScribe™… what the heck is it?

Nowadays, after you finished burning a DVD or CD, how do you label it? Well, most people (like how I used to) will just use a permanent marker and scribble on top of the disc right? Some will print their own labels and stick it to the disc.

Now.. LightScribe is a technology from HP that allows you to burn the top part of the DVD/CDs using the burner itself. This requires specially made LightScribe media which is coated with reactive dye that changes color when it absorbs the laser light.

So, instead of writing with a permanent marker or printing stickers to label the discs, a user only needs to flip over the disc, put it back into the burner and start burning their label designs.

That…. is so STIM LAH~!! Woahahahha…

Last night I’ve managed to label two CDs with LightScribe:

A simple text and pattern label:



And a photo background with text label:



Label burning takes anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes depending on the quality and complexity.

Each LightScribe CD-R cost about RM2 but I’ve only checked out BenQ brand. I’m pretty sure there are cheaper alternatives out there. So far I haven’t had the chance to find any DVD LightScribe media yet.

Is it worth it? Well, to me it is!
____LoctorMayat_________

No comments: