Pages

17 January 2011

Camera Armor™ Review



When out shooting, you will never know when your camera might encounter some mishap. You may accidentally drop it, knock it against something, hit it in anger, or just plain unlucky that someone else come and bang you and your expensive camera.

Not long ago, Ah Ted the equally Kiamsiap™ photographer introduced me to something called ‘Camera Armor’. It is a camera protection system made of silicon+rubber composite material or something like that. So, when your camera encountered any impact, the material will absorb the blow and protect your camera….. to an extend laa…. don’t expect miracles when Optimus Prime rolls over your dinky dink DSLR.

So far you can get this in the states or from Japan (need to confirm with Shashinki’s boss). Hence, shipping is very expensive unless you ‘tumpang’ someone to bring it back for you (which I did! Thanks to my buddy Laikos Filmart).

So…. presenting..



Woa ha ha ha….

The box is not very big, about the size of your DSLR body. Inside, contains the Camera Armor and the instruction leaflet.



The armor consists of the body protection and the lens protection. Since I interchange my lenses quite often, I left the lens protection alone.

After a bit of pulling, tucking and stretching…. I finally got the Camera Armor fitted onto my D70s body





You have to make sure that the buttons are lined up perfectly so that you won’t face any problems pressing them.

HOWEVER, there is one problem I faced, the On/Off switch and both the command dials (front and back) are quite hard to be accessed since it is now deeper. For those with fat fingers, I doubt that you can even touch them.

So, you might need to use a penknife and cut the blocking portion of the Camera Armor away. Yeah.. what to do?



So will it affect the ergonomics and usage of the camera with Camera Armor fitted on?

Well, now that the camera is noticable bigger, I can grab the camera more comfortably. I think, those with mini DLSR bodies like Canon 350D (based on personal experience) might be glad to use it. Also, since it’s part rubber, the body does not easily slip from your hand. Great for those with sweaty palms.

I held the camera and tried to whack it on the table. Wow.. I can actually feel my camera ‘boucing’ off the table. Not bad! not bad! Hahahah…. next, maybe I’ll use it to crack crab shells or hitting nails into the wall. Woa ha ha ha…..

For more information on Camera Armor, please visit their website here: http://www.camerarmor.com/camera-armor.html/

STIM NYER....
__________________
LoctorMayat

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
Camera Armor discontinued their product line, but I found a comparable (Dutch) product easyCover.
www.discovered.nl has more info.

liesifoo said...

thanks 4da info